Volvo XC60 was first introduced as the XC60 concept in 2007 at the North American International Auto Show. It is a 5-door compact luxury crossover SUV with a front-engine, front-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive layout.
The XC60 was produced since 2008 by Volvo Cars spanning through two generations. Along with the S60, S60 Cross Country, V60, and V60 Cross country, it belongs to the 60 Series of Volvo.
The First Generation (2008-2017)
The first generation of the Volvo XC60 was revealed in 2008 at the Geneva Motor Show. Even though it was built on Volvo’s P3 platform, its technology was based on one of the Land Rover Freelander.
There were two variants of the XC60 – the XC60 Ocean Race, with a unique blue colour, and the XC 60 Plug-in Hybrid Concept, which never saw production.
In Australia, the XC60 arrived in 2009. It is now in its second generation. The powertrain options released during this generation were:
- 3.2 and 3.2 LE - 3.2L B6324S petrol engine (175 kW, 320 Nm) paired with a 6-speed AW TF-80SC automatic transmission
- D5 2.4 and D5 2.4 LE - 2.4L D5244T4 diesel engine (136 kW, 400 Nm) paired with a 6-speed AW TF-80SC automatic transmission
- T6 3.0 - 3.0L B6304T2 petrol engine (210 kW, 400 Nm) paired with a 6-speed AW TF-80SC automatic transmission
- D5 and D5 R-Design - 2.4L D5244T10 diesel engine (151 kW, 420 Nm) paired with a 6-speed AW TF-80SC automatic transmission
- T6, T6 R-Design, and T6 Teknik, and in 2013 T6 Luxury - 2.0L B4204T9 petrol engine (224 kW, 400 Nm) paired with a 6-speed AW TF-80SC automatic transmission
- 3.2 Teknik - 3.2L B6324S5 petrol engine (180 kW, 320 Nm) paired with a 6-speed AW TF-80SC automatic transmission
- D5 Teknik, D5 Teknik Ocean Race, and D5 Luxury (in 2013) - 2.4L D5244T15 diesel engine (158 kW, 440 Nm) paired with a 6-speed AW TF-80SC automatic transmission
- T5 and T5 Teknik, and T5 Kinetic and T5 Luxury (in 2013) - 2.0L B4204T7 petrol engine (177 kW, 320 Nm) paired with a 6-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission
- D4 and D4 Teknik, and D4 Kinetic and D4 Luxury (in 2013) - 2.0L D5204T3 diesel engine (120 kW, 400 Nm) paired with a 6-speed AW TF-80SC automatic transmission
- D5 R-Design Polestar and D5 Teknik R-Design - 2.4L diesel engine (169 kW, 470 Nm) paired with a 6-speed AW TF-80SC automatic transmission
- T6 R-Design Polestar and T6 Teknik R-Design, 3.0L B6304T4 petrol engine (242 kW, 480 Nm) paired with a 6-speed AW TF-80SC automatic transmission
- In 2015, T5 Kinetic Sprint - 2.0L B4204T11 petrol engine (180 kW, 350 Nm) paired with 8-speed Aisin TG-81 SC automatic transmission
The base features included:
Dual Front/Head/Side Airbags, Anti-lock Braking, Automatic Air Con/Climate Control, 17-Inch Alloy Wheels, Cruise Control, Central Locking Remote Control, Dynamic Stability Control, Electronic Brake Force Distribution, Front Fog Lights, Engine Immobiliser, Leather Steering Wheel & Upholstery, Parking Distance Control Rear, Power Driver’s Seat, Power Mirrors/Steering/Windows, Radio CD Player, Seatbelt Pretensioners (Front), Trip Computer, and Traction Control System
The 3.2 LE added 18-inch alloy wheels, CD with 6-CD stacker, power front seats, power sunroof, and radio CD with eight speakers.
In 2010, R-Design was introduced with a colour-matching body kit, stiffer chassis and damping, and sport seats.
The T6 added heated front seats, power tailgate, and xenon headlights.
The 3.2 Teknik added lane-change warning, satellite navigation, and voice recognition system.
With 2013 facelift, the following features were added:
Cargo Cover, Dusk Sensing Headlights, Daytime Running Lights, Headlights with Coming/Leaving Home Function, Halogen Headlights, Leather Gear Knob, Multi-Function Control Screen, Multi-Function Steering Wheel, MP3 Compatible Audio/CD Player, Heated Power Exterior Mirrors, Roof Rails, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Split-Fold Rear Seat, and Space-Saving Spare Wheel
In 2009, the Euro NCAP gave the XC60 5 of 5 stars which included 94% for Adult Occupant rating and 48% for Pedestrian Occupant rating. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety also gave it the highest rating of "Good".
The Second Generation (2017-present)
The second-generation Volvo XC60 was introduced in 2017 at the Geneva Motor Show as a 5-door CUV with a front-engine, all-wheel-drive layout. It shares Volvo’s SPA platform with the S90, V90, and XC90 featuring smaller inline-4 engine. The XC60 is available in Momentum, R-Design, Inscription, and Polestar trim levels.
The Volvo XC60 is Volvo’s best selling car, with more than 1.5 million units sold globally since 2008.
Powertrain options available in Australia are:
- D4 Inscription and D4 Momentum, and in 2019 D4 Inscription (AWD), D4 Momentum (AWD) - 2.0L diesel engine (140 kW, 400 Nm) paired with 8-speed Aisin TG-81 SC automatic transmission
- D4 Kinetic and D4 Luxury - 2.4L diesel engine (140 kW, 420 Nm) paired with 6-speed automatic transmission
- D5 Luxury - 2.4L diesel engine (162 kW, 440 Nm) paired with 6-speed automatic transmission
- D5 R-Design and in 2019 D5 R-Design (AWD) - 2.0L diesel engine (173 kW, 480 Nm) paired with 8-speed Aisin TG-81 SC automatic transmission
- T5 Inscription and T5 Momentum, and in 2019 D5 Inscription (AWD), T5 Momentum (AWD) - 2.0L petrol engine (187 kW, 350 Nm) paired with 8-speed Aisin TG-81 SC automatic transmission
- T5 Luxury and T5 R-Design - 2.0L petrol engine (180 kW, 350 Nm) paired with 8-speed Aisin TG-81 SC automatic transmission
- T6 R-Design and T8 R-Design (HYBRID), and in 2019 T6 R-Design (AWD), T8 Polestar (HYBRID) - 2.0L petrol engine (235 kW, 400 Nm) paired with 8-speed Aisin TG-81 SC automatic transmission
This fully-equipped model has its base model loaded with the following features as standard:
4-zone Climate Control, Full Airbags Package including Driver's Knee Airbag, Ambient Interior Lighting, Alarm with Interior Movement Sensor, Active Park Assist, Adjustable Speed Limiter, 19-Inch Alloy Wheels, Body-Coloured Exterior Mirrors, Blind-Spot Monitoring, Bluetooth Connectivity, Cruise Control Intelligent/Active, Digital Audio Broadcast Radio, Driver Mode Selection, Emergency Brake Lights - Flashing, Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirrors, Forward Collision Warning, Front Fog Lights, Front Spoiler, Hill Descent Control, Humidity Sensor, Hill Start Assist, High-Mounted Rear Stop Light, Head-Up Display, Engine Immobiliser, LED Headlights, Lane-Keeping Assist, Leather Steering, Knob and Upholstery, Multi-function Control Screen and Display, Multi-function Steering Wheel, Navigation System, Power Front Seats and Lumbar Support, Power Tailgate, Rear Collision Warning, Rain-Sensing Wipers & Light Sensor, Seatbelts Pretensioners (rear) and Reminder (all seats), Surround Camera System, Tyre Repair Kit, Voice Recognition System, and Whiplash Protection System
The D4 Kinetic adds the following:
ABS, Active Bi-Xenon Headlights, Automatic Air Con/Climate Control and Filter, Adaptive Digital Display, City Brake Support Forward & Reverse, Chrome Roof Rails & Exterior Side Windows, LED Daytime Running Lights, Dynamic Stability Control, Emergency Brake Assist, EBS, Electric Parking Brake, Electric Power Steering, First-Aid Kit, Rear Fog Lights, Hill Holder, Halogen Headlights, LED Indicators, Park Assist 2, Heated & Folding Power Mirrors, Power Windows, Reversing Camera, Rear Window Demister, Satellite Navigation, Height Adjustable Seatbelts with Load Limiters and Pretensioners (Front), Side Impact Protection, Sound System with 8 Speakers, Traction Control System, Twin Exhaust, and Vehicle Stability Control
The D5 R-Design adds:
21-Inch Alloy Wheels, Chassis Control (Sports Chassis), Metallic-Finish Front Grille, Special Headlining, Inlays, Gear Knob & Steering Wheel in Special Leather, Paddle Shifters on Steering Wheel, and Special Rear Bumper
Do you have this model and need parts for it? Carpart offers the finest selection of auto parts, accessories, and pre-owned vehicles! See what’s new today by visiting our website at Carpart.com.au!
Author: Andrijana Pavlovic