Did you know that by tinting car windows, you reduce your chances of getting skin cancer?
Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world, claiming about 2,000 lives annually. Overexposure to the sun's ultraviolet rays is the cause of most cases of this cancer type, and since car tint helps block off these UV rays, it limits your chances of having skin cancer.
That’s one reason tinting car windows is particularly important for Australian residents. Now, that had to be stated because if you’re unaware of the value of tinting your car windows, any price can seem too high.
With that said, note that the health benefit of tinting is not the only benefit to tinting car windows. We’ve covered the other benefits of tinted windows in a previous post, so feel free to check that out too.
In today’s article, we’ll go through how much it costs to tint car windows and the factors that could affect it.
How Much Do Car Tints Cost?
In Australia, the average price to tint car windows ranges between $300 and $800. Some service providers have lower estimates of $200 and $400 for a full window tint or approximately $70 for a single window.
Nevertheless, these prices are open to change depending on the type of film, type, size of the vehicle, or preferences.
What Factors Affect the Price of Car Tinting?
Here are some of the factors that determine a window tint cost:
1. Vehicle Types and Models
The vehicle model and size are what mainly determines the cost of a tint job, and this is because each car is unique – different window sizes, curvy areas, the works. A vehicle with bigger or curvier windows would require more work than others with smaller, simpler windows.
According to The Car Tinting Man, here are the average price ranges for the following vehicle categories:
- 2 Doors Utility Vehicles - $220 to $300
- Sedans - $300 to $ 500
- Hatchbacks - $280 to $400
- Large 4WDs - $300 - $500
- SUVs - $250 to $400
- Vans - $200 to $500
Note that these prices are estimates and should only serve as a guide. The price depends on the sort of tint you'd like to get done, and it will change from shop to shop.
2. Type, Features, and Qualities of Tint Film
Think about sunglasses. There are various types for various situations, each with different protective abilities.
Likewise, tint films come in several categories, each with its distinct qualities and benefits – and price tag. Here is a quick lowdown of the different types of car tint films you can get, starting with the cheapest.
- Dyed film: The dye component helps the film absorb sunlight, reducing heat and UV radiation penetration but doesn’t last long. This film is the ideal car tint film for you if you’re on a lean budget! Still, note that budget tint films are more prone to peeling, bubbles, cracks, and might even cost you more in the long run.
- Metalised film: This film is more effective at reducing glare, heat, and UV rays and is more expensive. The tiny metallic particle embedded in the film allows it to reflect sunlight. On the other hand, these metallic properties might also interfere with signals in electronic devices.
- Hybrid film: This film offers the benefits of both dyed and metalised film without their cons. This type of film is more expensive than the earlier mentioned categories.
- Carbon film: This type of tint film is more aesthetically appealing. Compared with the earlier mentioned films, a carbon film is more effective at absorbing UV rays. However, it can be challenging to see the outside from inside at nighttime with this film type.
- Ceramic film: This is the latest and best type of tint film available, and it's also the most expensive. This film offers clear inside visibility, blocking out heat and UV radiation without electronic device interference.
Does the Price of a Car Tint Vary by State?
The price to tint car windows should be similar across different states but can sometimes slightly vary due to labour charges.
- For example, the Australian Tint Wizard in New South Wales listed prices starting from $199 for a primary job upward.
- Tint-a-car, located in Victoria, offers basic high-end window tint for $295.
- The Car Tint Man that I’ve mentioned earlier, located in Canning Vale, Western Australia, lists their prices ranging from $230 up to $500 for their most expensive tint. Perth car tint services are generally within this range.
Besides location, the reputation of the service provider also counts toward your bill. There are several cases of inexpensive tints that turned out to be a complete disaster, because as you very well know, you often get what you pay for.
So don’t be too surprised when more reputable service providers give you higher-priced quotes.
How Can I Save Money on Car Window Tint?
First, consider why you want to tint your car windows. Are you simply looking to block out the sun's rays and heat? Or do you want increased privacy or protection for your window glass during accidents? These answers will help you decide what quality of film you require. In essence, it saves you from spending too much or getting a tint job twice.
Second, if you have a tint already on your windows, don’t forget to ask about the cost of tint removal when you’re requesting a quote. Tint removal usually demands more time and effort and would incur additional fees.
Need Any More Help with Your Car Maintenance?
Do you need any help with car replacement parts or maintenance guides? Visit the Marketplace at Carpart.com.au to find any auto parts you need or use the parts finder tool to request car parts from thousands of suppliers across Australia. For guides, you may visit the website's blog section to take DIY instructions that could solve your car’s issues.
By Damilare Olasinde